This post will help you identify the highest currency in the world based on current valuation as of January 2022.
These valuations are based on the United States Dollar exchange rate and Eurozone Exchange rates against the Euro.
But why is a travel blogger writing about currencies and exchange rates? Two reasons.
Number One. Because I find it interesting and want to understand the value of money better.
Number Two. Because it impacts how much things cost when we travel. The stronger the currency in the countries you visit, the more expensive things will be.
Of course there are many other considerations when budgeting a trip, but it is important to be aware of the currency value of the country you are visiting.
According to the United Nations, there are a total of 180 currencies in the world.
Currently, the highest currency is the world is the Kuwaiti Dinar (KWD). One KWD is valued at $3.31 USD.
Below, I will identify the top 10 Highest Currencies in the World as of January 2022. This list ends with the highest currency value at number 1.
Some of the links in the post are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links it helps to support this site at no extra cost to you.
Highest Currency in the World 2022
Disclosure: I am not a financial analyst, stock trader, currency expert, currency trader, or anything else related to money and currency. I am not giving financial advice and this article is for informational purposes only.
The information for this article was obtained through my own research and verifying currency exchange rates at XE.
Before you take a trip, make an investment, or make any other decisions related to foreign currency, you are encouraged to do your own research and confirm current exchange rates at the time you are traveling.
If you’re interested, lowest currency in the world is currently the Irianian Rial.
Traveling Soon? Don’t forget your travel insurance.
- Travel insurance is now more important than ever.
- Travel insurance is probably less than you think it is. (Ex. For a week in Spain next month I’m paying less than $62.00.)
- Travel insurance covers a lot more than you think it does.
- It’s better to have it, than need it and wish you’d bought it.
- See for yourself. Check prices here.
10. United States Dollar (USD)
The United States Dollar (USD) is the tenth strongest currency in the world. The USD is the official currency of the United States.
- 1 USD = 0.88 EUR
9. Swiss Franc (CHF)
The Swiss Franc (CHF) is the ninth highest valued currency in the world. The CHF is the official currency of Switzerland.
- 1 CHF = 1.10 USD
- 1 CHF = 0.97 EUR
8. Cayman Islands Dollar (KYD)
The Cayman Islands Dollar (KYD) is the eigth highest currency in the world. The KYD is the official currency of the Cayman Islands.
- 1 KYD = 1.20 USD
- 1 KYD = 1.06 EUR
7. Euro (EUR)
The Euro (EUR) is the seventh highest currency in the world. The EUR is the official currency of the Eurozone. The Eurozone consists of 17 of the 27 member states of the European Union that use the Euro as their official currency.
1 EUR = 1.13 USD
6. Gibraltar Pound (GIP)
The Gibraltar Pound (GIP) is the sixth highest currency in the world. The GIP is the official currency of Gibraltar.
- 1 GIP = 1.36 USD
- 1 GIP = 1.19 EUR
5. British Pound Sterling (GBP)
The British Pound Sterling (GBP) is the fifth highest currency in the world. The GBP is the official currency of the United Kingdom.
- 1 GBP = 1.36 USD
- 1 GBP = 1.19 EUR
If you’re planning on traveling to the UK, or London in particular, hotels can be extremely expensive. Be sure to look for deals ahead of time if you’re trying to stick to a budget.
4. Jordan Dinar (JOD)
The Jordanian Dinar (JOD) is the fourth highest currency in the world. The JOD is the official currency of Jordan.
- 1 JOD = 1.41 USD
- 1 JOD = 1.24 EUR
3. Oman Rial (OMR)
The Omani Rial (OMR) is the third highest currency in the world. The OMR is the official currency of Oman.
- 1 OMR = 2.60 USD
- 1 OMR = 2.29 EUR
2. Bahrain Dinar (BHD)
The Bahraini Dinar is the second most valuable currency in the world. The Bahrain Dinar is the official currency of Bahrain.
- 1 BHD = 2.65 USD
- 1 BHD = 2.34 EUR
1. Kuwait Dinar (KWD)
The Kuwaiti Dinar (KWD) holds the highest currency rate in the world. The Dinar is the official currency of Kuwait.
- 1 KWD = 3.31 USD
- 1 KWD = 2.92 EUR
Top 100 Highest Currency in the World
This is a partial list of the highest currency in the world as of January 23, 2022. Be advised that currency rates fluctuate frequently so you should always check for yourself as well.
I’ve used XE for current foreign exchange rates. (This list is in the process of being updated.)
- Kuwaiti Dinar (KWD) = $3.31 USD
- Bahraini Dinar (BWD) = $2.65 USD
- Omani Rial (OMR) = $2.60 USD
- Jordanian Dinar (JOD) = $1.41 USD
- British Pound Sterling (GBP) = $1.36 USD
- Gibraltar Pound (GIP) = $1.36 USD
- Euro (EUR) = $1.13 USD
- Cayman Islands Dollar (KYD) = $1.20 USD
- Swiss Franc (CHF) = $1.10
- United States Dollar (USD) = $1.00
- Canadian Dollar (CAD) = $0.79 USD
- Australian Dollar (AUD) = $0.72 USD
- Bruneian Dollar (BND) = $0.74 USD
- Singapore Dollar (SGD) = $0.74 USD
- Libyan Dinar (LYD) = $0.22 USD
- New Zealand Dollar (NZD) = $0.67 USD
- Bosnian Convertible Mark (BAM) = $0.58 USD
- Bulgarian Lev (BGN) = $0.58 USD
- Azerbaijan Manat (AZN) = $0.59 USD
- Dutch Guilder (ANG) = $0.55 USD
- Belizean Dollar (BZD) = $0.50 USD
- Barbadian Dollar (BBD) = $0.50 USD
- Fijian Dollar (FJD) = $0.47 USD
- Samoan Tala (WST) = $0.39 USD
- Belarusian Ruble (BYN) = $0.39 USD
- Israeili Shekel (ILS) = $0.32 USD
- Georgian Lari (GEL) = $0.33 USD
- Brazilian Real (BRL) = $0.18 USD
- Croatian Kuna (HRK) = $0.15 USD
- Turkish Lira (TRY) = $0.07 USD
- Macau Pataca (MOP) = $0.12 USD
- Norwegian Krone (NOK) = $0.11 USD
I hope you’ve found this post about the strongest currencies in the world useful in planning your future travels. Thank you for reading.
Eden FitePart-time Traveler | Dog Lover | Avoider of Crowds
I help busy people find creative ways to travel more.